|Whites Chapel Cemetery
|When a child in a passing wagon train died and was buried at the site. In 1976 the Colleyville 4-H Club erected a small
granite monument in the cemetery to preserve the Civil War, and many veterans of subsequent wars. There are several
government-furnished veterans’ monuments in place and old residents indicate that many other veterans lie buried there
under privately-produced markers. Paupers were buried there when they could not afford a plot and most are unmarked.
On February 13, 1959 Texas Governor Price Daniel patented the last tract of land to the White Chapel Cemetery
Association and its trustees under the provisions of an act approved by the legislature on June 19, 1939, amending the law
of land which had never before been formally deeded as a cemetery. It was stated that this land could never again be
used as anything else but a cemetery. A survey was completed in December, 2006 and shows the Cemetery Association
owns 2.2454 acres.
The Whites Chapel Cemetery Association was formally incorporated as a non-profit organization on April 1, 1982 under
section 501c(13) of the tax code. The cemetery was honored with a Texas Historical Marker in a dedication service on
October 21, 2001. It was placed along the cemetery’s western boundary and is invaluable in helping to interpret
Southlake's past to the thousands of its residents who have recently moved here from other communities both inside and
|How This Cemetery Was Created.